On Tuesday 8 March, ADF International filed eight submissions to the 26thSession of the Universal Periodic Review at the United Nations in Geneva. The submissions focus on the human rights situation in countries across four continents and cover a wide range of issues, including the right to life, freedom of conscience, religious liberty, free speech, abortion, maternal health, and the family.
The Universal Periodic Review is designed to give civil society as well as fellow UN members a chance to help promote fundamental human rights around the world
The Universal Periodic Review (UPR) mechanism assesses the human rights situations in all 193 UN Member States. The mechanism is State-driven and provides the opportunity for each Member State to declare what actions they have taken to improve the human rights situations in their countries. The Universal Periodic Review is designed to give civil society as well as fellow UN members a chance to help promote fundamental human rights around the world.
Next to the oral recommendations that Member States submit on each other, reports can also be submitted by individuals and NGOs on any country that is under review.
ADF International used this UN mechanism to raise awareness about genocide of Christians and other religious minorities in Syria from the hands of ISIS/Daesh. ADF International recommended Syria the following:
- Recognize the right to life of all and introduce its protection under Syrian domestic law in accordance with Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights;
- Investigate and prosecute unlawful killings and executions of civilians and of religious or ethnic minorities;
- Recognize freedom of thought, conscience and religion in accordance with the international standard and as per Article 18 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights;
- Investigate and prosecute discrimination against and persecution of religious and ethnic minorities in Syria;
- Recognize the persecution of Christians as genocide;
- Take steps to ensure the fulfilment of their obligations under the Convention for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide;
- Investigate and prosecute all acts of genocide.
ADF International also submitted detailed reports on the following countries: South Sudan, Moldova, Haiti, Lithuania, Iceland, Togo and Uganda.
Our Submissions to U.N.’s 26th Universal Periodic Review can be accessed here